Staff Reporter, Deadspin
New York, NY
Deadspin, Gizmodo Media Group’s website for sports and culture coverage, is looking for an experienced reporter to cover a diverse range of sports for more than 14 million monthly readers.
About the Company:
Gizmodo Media Group is the publisher of the web’s most original and fearless media brands, including Gizmodo, Earther, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Jezebel, Deadspin, Splinter, Jalopnik and The Root. As part of G/O Media, we reach an audience of +120 million visitors a month — more than one-third of all Americans.
About the role:
This is a position for a dogged reporter looking to write everything from magazine-quality features to quick scoops. The ideal candidate has experience filing FOIA requests, chasing down tips, and writing features and profiles. They are interested in investigations that shine a light on systemic misconduct and other serious issues of public interest, but also the weird and offbeat stories that make sports fun. While the staff writer will have a broad mandate rather than a specific beat, we strongly prefer candidates with an interest in reporting on one or more sports played by women.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Experience reporting for magazines, newspapers and/or online publications (you do not need to have covered sports before)
- Strong news judgment and understanding of the online news cycle, with a proven ability to find unique stories
- Fluency (or a demonstrated interest in developing fluency) in public records searches, FOIA requests, finding court records, and other investigative tools
- An understanding of Deadspin’s voice and a strong pitch for what you would add to it
- Wide-ranging interests in sports and culture, and a strong writing voice on subjects you are passionate about
- Experience working closely with editors on honing ideas, developing reporting strategy, perfecting word choice, and everything in between
- An interest in writing about areas we don’t cover as deeply as we should, and an instinct for finding those areas
To apply, please submit a resume; a cover letter detailing why you’re the right fit for the job, how you meet the criteria above, and what sports you are most interested in covering; and answers to the questions below.
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
This is a full-time staff position (open to remote candidates).
This position is in the WGA-E bargaining unit.